Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- AP sports style exercises
- AP sports style quizzes should test more than usage
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- What questions do sports journalism students want answered?
- Using team nicknames correctly
- Tweet like a journalist from live sports events
- Advice from veteran sports writer Tommy Deas
- Here's my sports journalism syllabus for the spring semester
- About me
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 37,125 hits
Tag Archives: sports writing
LISTEN: Claire Smith becomes the first woman voted into the writers wing of baseball’s hall of fame, the sad death of a former Yankees pitcher, and more
In this week’s podcast, Jeff Owens and I address the historical implications of Claire Smith being the first woman, and fourth African-American, voted into the writers’ wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame as the recipient of the J.G. Taylor Spink Award, … Continue reading
Columnist says Cardinals manager Mike Matheny is using alternative facts to explain his team’s struggles in 2017
Bernie Miklasz, who covered the St. Louis Cardinals for 26 years, relies on advanced metrics to illustrate that the team’s manager, Mike Matheny, has incorrectly blamed younger players for problems in 2017.
College sports media students, advisers and faculty can spend two days at CMI’s Fourth Annual Training Camp and learn from the nation’s premier sports media professionals how to better inform and entertain your followers, no matter the media platform. This … Continue reading
This week in college sports media: sportswriters on politics, violent Quidditch matches, special basketball sections, flying cats and more
Thomas Munson of the Daily Pennsylvanian writes as eloquently as any sports writer in this piece that addresses both today’s elections and sports, particularly the massive celebration in Chicago following the Cubs’ World Series championship run. At first, I needed to double-check … Continue reading
In this fourth episode, we discuss Monday Night Football, the Presidential Debates, the rumored split of Mike & Mike on ESPN’s long-running radio/TV show, the importance of reporting to landing a TV sports gig – and why I’m becoming a fan … Continue reading
I recently Tweeted out further suggestions on ways to write more precisely and accurately about sports. I have posted those below.