Order NEW 2nd edition of the ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
Top Posts & Pages
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- Steps to writing an amazing news story
- Using team nicknames correctly
- A primer on how to use databases to investigate Title IX compliance on your own campus
- About me
- Oregon's Willie Taggart apparently ends his boycott of Oregonian. Lesson: Don't give in to bullying by coaches
- Sports journalism conference returns
- LISTEN: Should sports journalists like Jemele Hill offer their political views, such as calling President Trump a 'white supremacist'
- Test students for sports terms, style
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
CMI College Sports Media Conference
- College athletics access College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 20,944 hits
Category Archives: Sports Columns
Columnist says Cardinals manager Mike Matheny is using alternative facts to explain his team’s struggles in 2017
Bernie Miklasz, who covered the St. Louis Cardinals for 26 years, relies on advanced metrics to illustrate that the team’s manager, Mike Matheny, has incorrectly blamed younger players for problems in 2017. Advertisements
Originally published November 2013 Ron Higgins had never left a press box during a football game in his 20 years of reporting. This time, though, he knew he had no choice. Craig Zeigler, a tight end for Ole Miss, lay on … Continue reading