Are sports channels, like ESPN, NFL Network and Fox Sports, eventually going to break off from cable packages, as suggested by a media writer on the “Dan Patrick Show”? Will fans start to purchase streams of live games, paying prices determined by the quality of the match-ups? This approach would go against 100 years of progression in both sports and media. Plus, the Big Lead doubles down on its stories about liberal sports writers by citing its poll – a superficial one – that relies on a tiny sampling that includes many outliers. Plus, we address major league soccer ratings, NFL free agency, The Walking Dead and much more. If you enjoy the show, please rate, review and subscribe on iTunes.
Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- AP sports style exercises
- What questions do sports journalism students want answered?
- Test students for sports terms, style
- Quick Takes: Avoid cliches like the (zombie) plague
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- Breaking down game elements to create a compelling recap
- Big changes in sports journalism
- About me
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 36,177 hits