In our most recent podcast, I fought against a cold to join co-host Jeff Owens in addressing Pistons coach Stan Van Gundy’s negative public comments about president-elect Donald Trump, comparing them to Patriots coach Bill Belichek’s letter in support of Trump. Are these comments definitive of how we view the two professional sports leagues? Plus, we compare the electoral college to the antiquated way college football once crowned its national champion, reveal a dumb coach who did not know the elections were actually taking place and discuss why Mavs owner Mark Cuban rescinded press credentials for ESPN beat writers.
Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- What questions do sports journalism students want answered?
- Sports leads should offer context, introduce storylines
- AP sports style exercises
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- Breaking down game elements to create a compelling recap
- Pitfalls to avoid when writing sports leads
- Test students for sports terms, style
- There's no better way to teach sportswriting than to bring students to cover live events
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- Rubrics help teachers, students focus on key elements of journalism
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 32,054 hits