The Associated Press Sports Editors is awarding four scholarships to help motivate talented students to pursue a career in sports journalism. Collegiate sports journalists entering their sophomore, junior or senior years are eligible for a scholarship that will awarded based on journalistic work, academic record, financial need, and geography. The scholarships, worth $1,500 apiece, will be awarded to students from four different regions of the United States. The winners will be chosen by the APSE scholarship committee, which is chaired by Joe Sullivan, sports editor of the Boston Globe and includes editors from all sections of the United States. Deadline is June 1. Include the following information in a letter of application:
- Personal: Name, address, age, phone number
- Academic: A copy of the student’s collegiate grades.
- Financial: A brief rundown of the student’s financial situation, with regards to how he/she plans to pay for tuition.
- Five examples of sports journalism (usually stories but could also be sections the student has edited), using either links or PDFs.
- Email information to Joe Sullivan, sports editor of the Boston Globe at Jtsullivan@globe.com with APSE Scholarship in subject line.
If you need to use standard mail for academic information, send to the following address:
c/o Joe Sullivan, Sports Editor
135 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02205-2845