Originally published January 2013
That Twitter is a terrific journalism tool is not news. But how sports journalists use this social media may be. Sports journos report news, cover events, cultivate sources, and promote material. In fact, most breaking news is first posted on Twitter. I’ve listed 15 ways sportswriters tweet about sports, a list that can be neither exhaustive or static due to social media’s evolving uses, approaches and changes in technology. So, please, feel free to add any categories you find below.
Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- Sports leads should offer context, introduce storylines
- What questions do sports journalism students want answered?
- Quick Takes: Avoid cliches like the (zombie) plague
- Correcting mistakes made by inexperienced sports writing students
- A few more suggestions on writing about sports more precisely, accurately
- Take chances, vary approaches when writing sports columns
- Breaking down game elements to create a compelling recap
- 'Morning Joe' interview with Congressman can be a lesson for sports journalists as well
- Statistical analysis can be far more fun than beat coverage
- AP sports style exercises
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 40,604 hits