Check out veteran sportswriter Dave Kindred’s attack on Bleacher Report, which he calls a place filled with shoddy, inexperienced reporters. Adds Kindred: “BR survives on the journalistic burglary of amateur typists.” In a related story, John Feinstein, reveals that he has just been fired by the Sporting News after the company purchased AOL FanHouse, whose writers will now replace him. Go to the bottom of this post to read Feinstein’s angry response. Will be interesting to see what fans want most – comprehensive sports journalism, terrific storytelling, wild commentaries, fans chatting with one another. Probably a mix. Either way, who wouldn’t want to read Feinstein’s informed, interesting commentary? We’ll see how this all evolves.
Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- About me
- SIDs are not the enemy of sports journalists
- Miami Herald offers an excellent multimedia game package
- Here's my sports journalism syllabus for the spring semester
- Bring your 'A-Game:' Avoid using cliches in sports writing
- Start planning for 2018 sports media conference for college students
- Quick Takes: Avoid cliches like the (zombie) plague
- Correcting mistakes made by inexperienced sports writing students
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 28,796 hits