Order NEW 2nd edition of the ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
Top Posts & Pages
- Tips for covering track & field meets
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- Steps to writing an amazing news story
- Using team nicknames correctly
- A primer on how to use databases to investigate Title IX compliance on your own campus
- About me
- Oregon's Willie Taggart apparently ends his boycott of Oregonian. Lesson: Don't give in to bullying by coaches
- Sports journalism conference returns
- LISTEN: Should sports journalists like Jemele Hill offer their political views, such as calling President Trump a 'white supremacist'
- Test students for sports terms, style
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
CMI College Sports Media Conference
- College athletics access College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 20,944 hits
Category Archives: Sports Media 101
In this first edition of our sports media podcast, Jeff Owens (WEIU-FM’s director) and I address coverage surrounding Colin Kaepernick, cite our favorite journalists and broadcasters and discuss other sports media news from the past week. In addition, we plan to interview professional … Continue reading
Here’s information I presented at the College Media Association’s national convention in Philadelphia last week. Establish beats. There is no logic in not having a sports beat system, only excuses and poor management. All beats have equally good stories. Assign one person … Continue reading
Originally posted June 2010 So what are you doing to create ‘the‘ place where fans turn for sports news on your campus? Or do you feel cocky, believing no other media can beat you for sports coverage? But does that … Continue reading
It’s difficult to predict the future, but we can certainly discern the present: Change is rampant in sports media. Game coverage, for example, has changed dramatically during the past several years and athletes now regularly bypass sports reporters through social … Continue reading