Order NEW 2nd edition of ‘Field Guide To Covering Sports’
In the new Second Edition, readers also explore sports reporting across multimedia platforms, developing a foundational understanding for social media, mobile media, visual storytelling, writing for TV and radio, and applying sabermetrics. Fully revised with new examples and updated information to give readers confidence in covering just about any game, match, meet, race, regatta or tournament, Field Guide to Covering Sports, Second Edition is the ideal go-to resource to have on hand when mastering the beat.
Sports & Media Podcast
CMI College Sports Media Conference
Click on the image above to register and to learn more about the workshop.
Order ‘Monster Trek: The Obsessive Search for Bigfoot’
- Joe Gisondi brings to life the celebrities in bigfoot culture: people such as Matt Moneymaker, Jeff Meldrum, and Cliff Barackman, who explore remote wooded areas of the country for weeks at a time and spend thousands of dollars on infrared imagers, cameras, and high-end camping equipment. Pursuing the answer to why these seekers of bigfoot do what they do, Gisondi brings to the reader their most interesting—and in many cases, harrowing—expeditions.
Top Posts & Pages
- Sports leads should offer context, introduce storylines
- Here's my sports journalism syllabus for the spring semester
- What questions do sports journalism students want answered?
- Correcting mistakes made by inexperienced sports writing students
- Not so obvious to journalism students? To earn the best sports media jobs, one needs to work hard for a long time.
- About me
- Tips for baseball, softball coverage
- Journalism still has a future despite its hiccups and challenges thanks to passionate young reporters. But Americans need to step up as well.
- Start planning for 2018 sports media conference for college students
- What rule changes would make the XFL more attractive to fans?
- College Media college sports media Covering Games General Interviewing Multimedia News Sports Analytics Sports Columns Sports Features Sports Language Sports Media 101 Sports Media Education Sports Media Ethics Sports Media Podcast Sportswriting Sportswriting: Leads Teaching sports journalism Training & Education Uncategorized
- 33,687 hits
Tag Archives: Teaching sportwriting
Here are my notes for today’s session on ways to more effectively keep score, take notes and, ultimately, write a more informed story about live sports events. See you later today in Louisville at the Associated Collegiate Press/College Media Advisers … Continue reading
Students are always going to stumble over coverage of sports events, especially on deadline, such as finding the best angles, selecting appropriate quotes, structuring stories effectively, asking probing questions, and determining key trends and plays. That’s part of the learning … Continue reading